Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Decision Time for Chris Reitsma

Chris Reitsma was told that he would not be breaking camp with the Mariners about a week or more ago. He is on a minor league deal, without a free agency clause, but hasn't reported to AAA Tacoma yet, like the Mariners wanted him to. Reitsma is recovering from another year of injury problems, and hasn't decided if he still wants to play. As far as I know, after he was cut, he drove north to his hometown of Calgary (Canada).

If he doesn't report soon, the Mariners can put him on the restricted list, another list for players that I didn't know about, where the Mariners retain rights to him, but are off the hook for his salary. If I were Reitsma, it would take me a little while for me to decide as well. It's not like he woke up one morning and said that he was done, as far as I know. It's a tough tme when battling injuries, I have my own personal experiences with them and they suck. In Reitsma's case, his whole career has been a battle. It's really too bad for the Canadian hurler.

No comments: