Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Mariners Best Fit for Bonds

Not my words, but Bob Mathews of the Democrat and Chronicle's words.

The Seattle Mariners are one team that would benefit from signing Bonds as full-time designated hitter. He could be the difference in what figures to be a two-team race in the AL West.

I disagree with that sentance, or those sentances, because in what way would the Mariners benefit from Bonds? He brings in an amazing OBP, only because nobody wants to pitch to him. He's already the HR King, no advantage of selling tickets there. The chase for 3000 hits may be one thing, but I don't think that too many people are going to care. I watched Bonds untill be hit #756, and then basically forgot his name, untill the pergury charges came out. Oh, did I mention that Bonds could be facing jail time as well? The guy's a slug, and can only hit about 20 HR's a year, tops. Yes, there's the angle of if Vidro moves to second to platoon with Jose Lopez, than the DH spot is open. Now that I think of it, we have our own Barry Bonds, named Raul Ibanez. Someone who's slow, old and plays poor defence. Only difference, is that Ibanez is a solid run producer and a decent guy. I'd rather see Wladimir Balentien, Mike Morse or Jeremy Reed slide into that OF spot with Ibanez DHing, or have Jeff Clement getting some at bats in the DH spot. I really don't think that Bonds would be helpful at all. If the Mariners wanted Bonds, then they would have signed him already, or gave Carl Everett a call...

No comments: